MapleStory is a free, two-dimensional, side-scrolling Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game developed by Wizet and distributed as several versions by various companies. The game takes place mainly in the "Maple World", where players must fight against monsters while completing quests. As in a typical online game, players can mold their characters to their liking by increasing their abilities and skills. Interaction between users is encouraged in a variety of ways, including chatting, trading, marriage and playing mini-games.
Though the game is free to play, players may purchase various enhancements and upgrades in the Cash Shop using real money converted into the in-game currency.
The controls of the game utilises the keyboard and the mouse. The keyboard is used mainly for combating skills and opening lists that are crucial to make use of during the gameplay, one can choose to keep or change the default key configuration to suit their own needs. The mouse is mainly used for triggering quests from NPCs and moving of items in their inventories.
- Main article: Classes
All players start their journey at their respective tutorial areas after creating their characters. There are many different choices when making a character. One can choose between the basic archetypes. Depending on what type of character one picks, one will start at different places with different tutorials.
In the tutorial stage of the game, one will learn about stats, monsters, skills, and most importantly, how to play the game. Levelling up in the beginning will be easy with the starter quests, but as the player's level gets higher, difficulty of the game increases and the player may experience events such as death that will cause a loss in experience that will delay one's speed to level up.
Players can chat with others, trade, hang out, and much more. There are also Party Quests where players must play in a group, or "party", as said in the world of MapleStory, called. Later, players can also learn Professions to extract resources and craft items.
- Meso is the main currency of the game. Mesos are dropped by monsters and can also be obtained through quests. You may also gain mesos by selling to shops within the game, or even to any player in the game willing to buy what you have to offer.
- Character Statistics (stats) is the build of a character, and determines how powerful or weak a character is.
- Quests are tasks that players are able to perform for Non-Player Characters, or NPCs, in exchange for a reward. There are many quests available to players, each having certain requirements that a player must meet before being able to start said quest.
- Party Quests are quests that only allow a group of players in a party to complete them. This is a great way to make new friends and escape from quest grinding or training. Party Quests usually offer large amounts of experience points or useful Equipment to the players.
- Monsters are the natural inhabitants of the Maple World. Players have to kill them to gain experience to level up, complete quests, collect items, or obtain mesos.
- Cash Shop is a store that allows users to buy items with cash. These items do not need to be purchased in order to play the game. However, some might want to buy the items to enhance their gaming experience.
- Auction House is introduced in the RED update. It allows players to auction off their items for mesos.
Director Sunyoung Hwang Lead Game design Hyoungseon Kim Game designer Hoon Lee Kyoungsu Kwak Sungjea Lee Hyejin Jeong Lead Programmer Kion Kim Programmer Junsik Choi Seunghyun Yang Junki Kwon Yesik Wang Youngjin Choi Yeon Park Hanming Jung Art Director Yosoon Jang Lead Graphic Designer Hyeyoung Shin Kiyeop Chung Kihee Chang Cutscene Designer Eunah Jang Game Art Jayoung Kim Seunghyeon Shin Seunguk Kang Sunmi Lee Jihyun Song Haekeung Kwon Hyojin Eom Otsuka Maiko Kato Saori Sakaguchi Yuki Coordinator Inkyoung Cho Business & Marketing Youngmi Min Hyojin Kim Hayoung Ryu Lead QA Susung Ko Jangho Jeong Licensing Manager Jungah Kim Yoojin Oh Game Operating Manager Nakanishi Keita Game Operator Itoi Shiori Koshiishi Eri Yumiko Shimazu Maeyama Hiroki Fugita Naoko Localization Jiyoun Lee Marketter Nei Nishino Web planner Kawamura Shunsuke Producer Heeyoung Lee KMS Director & Producer Hanbyeol Oh Lead System Engineer Junyoup Kim System Engineer Bonghoon Jung Marvin Hwang Yongcheol Shin Cholwoo Koh Sangyun Lee Seunghee Chae Lead Contents Developer Yikwon Hwang Contents Developer Jiwon Kim Jaehyuk Jin Sunghoon Kim Hyundong Kim Hyukun Kwon Sangmin Lim Eunpyo Hong Siheon Kim Yool Seong Cherjae Moon Hongbum Yoon Lead Game Promotion Minkyung Lim Game Promotion Nayeon Gong Sangjin Park Lead Graphic Designer Kwanghyun Lim Senior Graphic Designer Yousuk Oh Kyoseong Koo Soyeon Mun Jychul Shin Graphic Designer Seunghu Jo Jinwon Hong Keeyoung Park Kyoungmin Lee Sangho Park Minkyu Lee Dooyoung An Minho Jang Minhee Joo Sunju Park Kyunghe Lee Jisung Han Jihyoun Oh Junhak Kim Juyoung Lee Youngsoo Moon Jisoo You Lead Game Designer Sejun Go Game Designer Yong Shin Spinel Minhee Choi Kyounghee Yoo Eungrai Kim Jinee Oh Okhyun Ko Miso Lee Yohan Son Junhoe Kim Jaekeun Shim Jinhoon Lee